- Why is your life about others?
- How much do you focus on others rather than yourself?
- Dryness - what are you nails like, what is your hair like? Is your hair falling out, what are your lips like?
- How light are your periods?
- Heat - do you get hot at night? Do you sweat at night? Are you restless? What is your sleep like?
Yin and yang are a generalization of the other six.
- Interior, Cold and Deficient are more Yin,
- while Exterior, Heat and Excess are more Yang.
As with many aspects of TCM, diagnosis using the Eight Principles is rarely clear-cut but a blending of influences that requires practice and sensitivity.
Cold, Deficient and yin conditions usually point to excessive parasympathetic activity. Often this occurs because of the client has over-taxed their body for too long leaving them burnt out. Even though they want to do more in life, it is important for them to rest and recuperate in order to rebuild their energy reserves.
Blood Stagnation (excess pattern) - sharp pain, explosive emotions, and manifestations of over-activity, Blood stagnation usually results from a deficiency of Blood itself or deficiency of the Qi to propel it, two Deficient-type patterns.
Blood and Qi deficiency generally occur because of a weakness of the Spleen and Stomach, another clear Deficient condition. However, the Spleen Qi may be blocked by the presence of a pathogen such as Cold or Phlegm, which are Excess -type patterns again.
This would represent a complicated, but not uncommon, clinical presentation. Perhaps, the complaint was sharp headaches from the Blood stagnation. The practitioner would ask about the nature of the pain and arrive at the initial conclusion of the stagnation. Examination of the tongue and pulse would immediately reveal the underlying Deficiency beneath the client’s condition, however, some confusing combinations may appear. The tongue may be pale and thin (indicating deficiency), but with a sticky coat (indicating damp/excess) in its centre. These signs would perfectly reflect the combinations of Excess and Deficiency that are producing the headaches.
Blood and Yin Deficiency
- Blood Deficiency = Dry (lack of substance)
- Blood and Yin is about the substance of the body - water is the main substance - water in blood
- Different from Qi deficiency as Qi is about function - Blood deficiency is about stuff - nutrients or water
- Blood Deficiency + Heat = Yin Deficiency
- Yin deficiency mean don’t have enough cold in the body so feel hot
- Examples of Blood Deficiency
- Nails Brittle, hair falling our - Liver Blood Deficiency
- Eyes dry, lips dry - Liver Blood Deficiency
- Dry Cough (lack of moisture in lungs) - Lu Blood Deficiency
- Ammenorrhea (not having periods) (lack of blood) - Liver Blood Deficiency
- Hormonal and moody (nutrients to create the hormones) - Liver Blood Deficiency
- Dizzy and poor sleep (could be hormonal which would be nutritional), memory - Ht Blood Deficiency
- What is causing heat?
- Qi Stag (stressed, fast metabolism) or Yin Deficiency (yin is cooling)
- Qi Stag or Excess yang - fast pulse - red all over
- Yin Deficiency - Pulse 70-80 bpm, tongue dry and thin, skin dry, red only on hands, feet, cheeks - or 5 palm heat - hands feet heart
- Check for signs
- Hot tongues cracks and / or red -
- Dry with cracks - yin deficient
- Restless, agitated, active but fatigued, emotions & anxious
- Dark red - stress - excess type of heat - more likely stagnation if also getting got
- Angry, frustrated, emotions held in
- Yin deficiency with more heat
- Difficultly being still and calm
- Difficulty sleeping
- More bleeding
- More thirst
- Agitation - thirsty - signs of heat
- Examples Yin Deficiency
- Hot and sweating at night - Ki Yin Deficiency
- 5 palm heat - Ki Yin Deficiency
- Anxious and cant stay still - Yin Deficiency
- Waking up at night and can’t get back to sleep - Yin Deficiency
- Can’t rest or relax, fidgets, restless, active but not necessarily focused, control, dominating, self aggrandising, not trusting, can’t nurture self, what I do not who I am, have to keep going, anxious, overly intense lifestyle, rigidity, emotional and moody, irritable
- Lack of blood - rigid, emotional and moody, intense, keep going, can’t nurture self, not trusting
- Heat aspect - fidget, restless, active, dominating,
- Inability to Rest, relax, be nurtured, to be about our selves,
- Focus on others more than myself
- Different to yang - focus on active something - the motivation is different