In terms of deficiency there is a spectrum of disease:
Yang def ← Qi def ← Health → Blood def → Yin def
One extreme is yang deficiency. The other is yin deficiency.
Qi deficiency is like yang deficiency but milder. Generally at that point there is not much cold but the client will be tired.
Blood deficiency is like yin deficiency but milder. Generally there is not much heat but the skin will show some signs of dryness (particularly nails, lips and hair). Sleep is often affected, particularly difficulty falling asleep.
Qi and Yang Deficiency
- Qi def = poor function
- Qi def + Cold = yang deficiency
- Qi is not supposed to be about ethereal energy - more about how well bodily processes work
- Yin and Yang metaphor hot and cold taps
- Could be excess cold/yin or deficient hot/yang
- Q Do you get hot or cold?
- Qi Deficiency
- Poor digestion - Sp Qi Def - St Qi Def
- Breathing difficulties - Lu Qi Def (out) - Ki Qi Def (in)
- Waking to go to the toilet - Ki Qi Def then Bl Qi Def (Qi for Bl comes from Ki Qi)
- Heart Muscle Incapacity - Ht Qi Def
- Excessive bleeding - Sp Qi Def
- Yang Def
- Waking to go to the toilet and cold - Ki Yang Deficiency
- Drink on hot drinks & food - Sp Yang Deficiency
- Always Cold - Ki Yang Deficiency
- Cold sweats in the day - Lu Yang Deficiency
- Adults unlikely to have a yang excess - what else causes heat? Stagnation.
- Day sweat is cold sweat in the day
- Hiding submitting victim
- Timid lazy impotent weak
- Doing little to overcome obstacles - I give up
- Exhausted overwhelmed - too exhausted to change
- Cold timid demotivated
- yang Qi weak
- Metabolism too slow
- Temp 36.5 to 37 c
- Pulse 60 to 70 and weak
- Cold extremities.
- Meaning - Find the why behind this
- Usually run down - run them selves down
- Following chronic illness, or old age
- Intense exercise, overly intense thinking
- Need to rebuild reserves
- Intense lifestyle - Why are they living such an intense lifestyle
- Q: What would happen if you didn’t strive?
- Q: How would you feel if you couldn’t strive?
- Tongue - cold
- Pale - moving toward white
- White coating - may not necessarily mean cold, but thick and white probably
- The tongue itself can be white under the tongue coating
- One other option
- Cold hands and feet can also be
- Ki Yang Def
- Sp Yang Def
- Liv Qi Stagnation (if caused by poor circulation) ***
- Cold hands and Feet - like warm drinks - cold inside
- Striving too hard towards something
- Chronic Serious illness
- Old Age
Look for Symptoms
- Do you feel hot or cold
- Cold → yang def?
- undigested stool - diarrhoea → lack of energy in the afternoon → Qi def
- Short of breath
- On exertion → Lung Qi
- Toilet at night
- → Bl Qi